gotta get this guy to talk more. there is much of interest and worth in this
post.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Tony Medeiros
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 12:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: One Journalist's Opinion of CCIE (Warning !!! longish )
[7:19098]

I have to agree with many, if not all the points raised by everybody.
My humble take is that there are  4 types of knowledge a great, capable of
hands on, design, etc. network engineer should have in the perfect world.
CCIE or not.  Bear in mind that I am talking about a network engineer that
basically works with the equipment and maintains and designs networks.
Other types of network engineers that design hardware, software, and
protocols will come under a way different set of rules I would think.

1. Basic network and protocol knowledge:
This should be how all layer 2, 3, 4 and many layer 7 protocols work
including the management plane protocols, routing protocols, STP, etc.  Not
necessarily what all the frame/packet/segment structures look like and where
and what each field in the PDU is and does. But enough PDU structure to know
what the engineer is looking at and understand how they work.  Although this
is all excellent knowledge to have, I think it's improbable (at least for
me) to know all the PDU structures in detail.  The main thing is to know the
behaviors (especially TCP) and how things can go right or wrong.  Some layer
1 stuff is good to know too!! Like what does it mean when I have slips on my
T1 interface or how a DS-3 works. Other things are cabling issues, what box
does what, where do I use a certain box (bridge vs.router, etc.), design
best practices, security issues and techniques.  Also host behavior and
configuration knowledge is invaluable.  I'm sure I left out a bunch of
stuff, but that is what I see as important(in my limited experience) to know

Most, if not all of number 1 can be learned by reading books, RFC's white
papers, etc.  Hands on experience will certainly help.

2.  Platform specific configuration:
It's great to know all the above stuff, but If I can't make it happen on
whatever I am configuring be it Cisco, Foundry, Extreme, or whatever.  I am
of little use as a hands on engineer.  It's nice to know how EIGRP installs
a feasible successor,  But if I can't get my routes to propagate correctly
because I left out "no auto summary", that knowledge doesn't serve me like
it should.  OT.  Why Cisco doesn't remove ALL classfull behavior from that
damn protocol is beyond me!!  Again, I believe it's improbable to know how
to configure everything on even one vender or platform.  But, the engineer
should know when to punt and ask for help.  Or know how to access and find
the information he/she requires.  And I don't just mean calling TAC :)  Even
though the wonderful people at TAC have gotten my ass out of a ringer many
times.

The Items in Number 2 comes from some book knowledge. But hands on
experience is key.  The experience of producing a complex config and
fighting to make it work is the best teacher I know of. Be it in a lab or
live network.  I never forgot the first time I got a DS-3 of ATM with about
15 pvcs to work.  Or even the first time I brought up a simple frame link
and pinged across and watched my routing table to grow !!!  It was almost
better than sex !!(don't tell my wife please !!)  I know, I'm sick. :>/

3.  Experience, PERIOD !!
Many a time it has been when I fought to get something to work and couldn't.
I checked the config against CCO, changed IOS's,  changed modules, changed
my underwear, etc.  Ending calling up a more knowledgeable peer to have her
tell me: "Oh, it's BLA, BA BLA".  Type in  the undocumented "BLA BA BLA and
it will work."  That is why having peers and is essential to survival in
this business.  Everybody of Group study is my peer whom I glean information
and support.  I am a firm believer in "no man/women is an island' !!  And
NOBODY knows everything.

4.  The ability, motivation, and tenacity to solve problems, learn, and do a
good job. (self explanatory)

I believe no attribute in itself is the most important,  we need all of
them.
Sorry everybody for the long post.  I'll refrain from posting for a while.
Tony M.