Is anyone aware of any links or research that discuss the advantages of
taking a large enterprise from an expensive private network (OC-3s and
private lines all over) to more use of the public network, in terms of
cost reduction and efficiency?
Many will still argue that a tightly firewalled private network is
necessary, but -- out of the box  here -- is it really? Couldn't one put
protection on files and route them over the public network? Couldn't an
enterprise save $$ by using the public network for email? At first,
people might say, "No! we don't want all your corporate email dumped on
the Internet, which is crowded enough." But, if corporations make more
use of the Internet and develop more dependency on it, wouldn't they
have more of a stake in the development and improvement of it?
If anyone knows of any public white papers on this subject that have
been posted or would like to share thoughts on this subject, I'd
appreciate it. Thanks, Lori