This is a question which is probably a little off topic, and probably not
relevant to the question, but I've been wondering about it for a while
(minutes anyway).
We had a similar problem although fairly localised that certain users within
a network could not access certain web servers.
Turned out to be the 'Do not Fragment' bit set on the server, and the
traffic was being passed over a Triple DES link which pushed the packet size
over the default MTU of 1500.
I changed the encapsulation to PPP and upped the MTU to get over it.
These same users are accessing the internet over the same link, with no
problems, so I take it that setting the 'Do not Fragment' bit is not a
regular thing?

So after all that prattle, the question is:

What is the reason for setting the 'Do not Fragment' bit?

 I remember reading somewhere that later versions of IOS have a setting
which basically ignores this bit, but why set it on the server if it is OK
to ignore it.

Cheers,

Gaz

""Chuck Larrieu""  wrote in message
> In answer to this puzzle, the consensus on NANOG was that the problem may
be
> related to an MTU mismatch.
>
> A couple of folks keyed in on "DSL" and the described symptom, and noted
> that there have been similar problems caused by MTU issues within the
DSLAMS
> used by the carriers noted in the message below.
>
> As of this writing, the guy who asked the question has not reported any
> further information.
>
> Chuck

HTTPS