When a Macintosh pulls up the Chooser, the Mac sends out a request to get
zones. A router responds. You can tell the router not to respond with a
GetZoneList filter.

When a router learns from another router about a new network, the router
asks the other router for the zones associated with that network. You can
make sure the router doesn't respond by doing a ZIPReplyFilter. The result
is that the network doesn't end up in the routing table because a network
without a zone doesn't "exist" in Cisco's implementation. Because the
network doesn't end up in the routing table, routers downstream don't ever
hear about it. This means that there's no need to do the ZIPReplyFilter on
routers downstream.

ZIPReplyFilter is more scalable because you don't have to run around to
each router that may have Macintoshes nearby and set up the GetZoneList
filter.

Priscilla

At 11:01 AM 9/11/01, Donny Mateo wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>got a little problem in understanding the real difference of using
>Getzonelist-filter and zip-reply-filter. The way I see it is both are doing
>exactly the same thing. CID by cisco press stated that zip-reply-filter is
>recommended to be used over GZL since GZL is not scallable and must be
>configure on every router. Doesn't the same thing also applies to
>zip-reply-filter ?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>dmateo

Priscilla Oppenheimer