This might be slightly off topic, but I would like to get an answer if
someone has one.

Task:

To change a remote office from an ISDN connection to a Frame Relay
connection.

Before:

Workstations and printers were connected to a 3COM hub that was connected to
a 700 series ISDN router that was directly connected to another 700 series
router which was connected to our LAN.

Everything was working fine, but slow.

Goal:

Workstations and printers connect to a 3COM hub that connects to a 1720
router that has a Frame Relay PVC to a 2620 router that connects to our LAN.

Steps:

I connected the 1720 router to the smartjack and connected it to one
workstation with a crossed cable to from the FastEthernet interface.

I telnettet into the router and got everything up. I could see the active
PVC and all was well.

I rebooted the PC and got an IP address (plus more) from the DHCP server at
the main office, and logged on to the network without any problems.

The problem began after I got the workstations and printers shut down,
unplugged the 700 series router from the hub, and connected the 1720
instead.

I could not login to the network anymore, and I could not ping, tracert or
telnet into anything on the LAN. However, I could telnet to the 1720 router,
and from there ping, tracert and telnet to the rest of the LAN.

This was weird, because I knew that the hub worked when connected to the
ISDN router, and I knew that the 1720 router could see the LAN, and I also
knew that it worked with a crossed cable instead of the hub.

I finally got a hold of a LinkSys switch which I connected instead of the
hub, and now everything worked fine.

?????????

Now, what could cause a hub to allow all communication through a port
connected to an ISDN router but not a 1720 router, when they both work with
a crossed cable and a switch?

I did by the way also clear the arp cache on all my devices on the network,
even though the problem didn't really point in that direction.

Anyone has a clue what's going on, or is it something personal that the hub
hates the 1720?

Thanks,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~