I have a situation which someone may be able to shed some light on.

The configuration that is in place is a PIX 515 6.01 with a public IP on the
'outside' interface and private IP on the 'inside' interface as you would
normally see in a straight-forward config.

We are using PAT to another external IP for all internal users.  Also there
are static NAT statements on this same external IP (one used for PAT) that
translate to the appropriate internal IPs for the respective services.

Ex.
static (inside,outside) tcp x.x.x.x  pop3 10.x.x.x  pop3 netmask x.x.x.x
(translating all pop3 queried traffic on x.x.x.x to be forwarded to
10.x.x.x)

One inbound access list is applied to the 'outside' interface filtering for
the protocols we need allowed in and for the static nats.

So this works fine for all external users and querying the various
protocols.  All locations are connected via private frame WAN to the central
location, where the internet connection out is and also this PIX.

Here is the problem.  There are travelling users which bounce from site to
site and are configured to access email via POP3.  Unfortunately this will
not work from inside the PIX.  What it looks like is that basically the
client is querying a pop3 server which resolves to the public IP address
which is in turn the same address assigned for the static nat translation to
the actual internal pop3 box.  I would change the client to resolve pop3 to
the actual internal IP address but then they would be unable to reach the
box from home or hotel etc.

ie.  client queries pop3 to 'popserver.domain.com' > dns resolves this to
x.x.x.x from above static NAT.  Query fails.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be happening and could shed
some light on whether this can be done first of all, and what steps may need
to be taken on the PIX so that interal queries for pop3 and smtp will be
able to go out through the PAT and come back in as the static nat translates
them and still work.

Thanks VERY much for anyones input.