At 02:36 PM 9/14/01, Wilson, Bradley wrote:
>So would the "missing hop" syndrome be caused by a router or firewall which
>is filtering any and all UDP packets (which a good portion of them are)?

UDP or Ping are not relevant until you get to the final destination. The IP
datagrams don't make it past the IP layer at the intermediate hops because
the IP router decrements the TTL, drops the packet, and sends ICMP TTL
exceeded.

The missing hops could be because ICMP TTL exceeded is rate limited or
filtered. Some service providers purposely don't send these to hide some of
their internal hops.

Gotta run.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer