>Hello all:
>
>I would like to hear some thoughts on people's opinions on MPLS in general
>and on RFC 2547-style VPN's in particular.   Are providers and (very) large
>enterprises going to embrace these techniques for their purported
>advantages, or does it represent too much change for too little benefit?

There's quite a range of opinion. Speaking personally, I see them
used for provider-provisioned VPNs, but terminating at the site
level. Also, I question the real need for the amount of flexibility
-- and thus complexity -- that they support, which potentially loads
more and more state into stressed BGP routers.

They are also a market reality.

At a NANOG meeting, a respected operator said in a public forum, "If
this is the answer...it must have been a pretty stupid question."

Marketeers from all vendors like to differentiate their products with
more and more features. I don't personally equate adding more and
more features with improving reliability.

Not everything that COULD be done SHOULD be done.