Chris's math is 100% correct but I  would offer a slightly different
accompanying
explanation, taking into account that a byte is comprised of only two
hexadecimal
digits.

The MAC address consists of 48 bits which is 6 bytes with 8 bits per byte.
The
difference between Token Ring and Ethernet is the bit order within the
bytes, so you
need to look at 8 bits at a time, that is, you reverse the bit-order in each
of the 6
bytes.

It takes TWO hex digits (of 4 bits per hex digit) to equal a byte.

The best thing to do is to ignore the dots (periods) and take the MAC
address two hex
digits (a byte) at a time, converting as follows:

1. Change the two hex digits (this byte) to binary
2. reverse the entire byte bit-by-bit, starting with the last bit in line,
3. finally convert that result back to hex.

So  when Chris states "I'll take the first octet: 0110" he is actually
taking two octets
(2 bytes), although in his example he correctly reversed each byte
individually.

Since 0110 hex is symmetric and looks kind of binary, perhaps a different
example might
help. Let's take the byte D7 (represented as two 4-bit hex numbers) and
reverse it.
1. Convert from hex to binary:

D    7
1101 0111