Hardware, we used AS5300 as PSTN gateways located in various countries to
terminate off-net traffic, they had up to 4 x E1s and were connected to, or
close to, the backbone which had v.high throughput. For the on-net traffic
1750, 2600, 3600 & as5300s were used. The local tail connections to the
internet were fairly high capacity again, no less than 2MB, we tested much
lower speeds in the lab though.
QOS is very difficult across the internet so only the local tail was worked
on, had to rely on bandwidth after that. The best qos results in testing
were with cbwfq/llq BUT in most places the routers the CPE connects to don't
support these features and you only have the tos bit to place with.
Codecs used were g711 (80k or 65k per call) as standard and g729 (24k or 12k
per call), if asked for. We never had any major problems with quality of
calls, most people couldn't tell the difference with g711. Generally if
there were problems it occurred in the call set up.
For call set up we used a 3rd party gatekeeper solution, don't bother, it
was a very good idea, i.e.. not being tied to one supplier and using open
standards as much as you can with voip, but it didn't always work. Cisco's
gatekeeper was a joke about a year ago, it may be better now, but you can do
it all manually if you haven't got to many sites as a last resort.

Hope this answers some questions

Regards