Interesting, as you say.
What load were you getting on the links?
Your pings are measuring latency, not throughput.  If the links weren't
heavily loaded, then I can see why you could get these results.  Each link
is still clocked at T1 speed, so I wouldn't expect adding links to decrease
latency.

What happens as you approach a T1 volume of traffic?

JMcL

----- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 02/10/2001 02:19 pm -----

"Chuck
                    Larrieu"             To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                 Subject:     PPP Multilink studies -
interesting
                    Sent by:             results
[7:21623]

nobody@groups

tudy.com

02/10/2001
                    01:33
pm

Please
                    respond

"Chuck

Larrieu"

A couple of weeks ago there were a couple of discussions on this board
about
using multiple T1's to improve data throughput. If memory serves, there
were
two possible ways to do this: 1) per packet load sharing and 2) PPP
multilink

for no particular reason I decided to do a little study on PPP multilink.
Well, OK, I do have two particular reasons - an upcoming Lab and a customer
who is asking about this.

So, I build a scenario as follows:

   serial0  token ring
R6--------R5-----------R4
 |--------|
  serial1

to test throughput, I used extended ping, with multiple pings and various
size payloads, from a loopback on R4 to a loopback on R6.

the routing protocol was EIGRP, done to assure per packet routing between
R6
and R5 as a control.

My results were interesting, to say the least. unexpected, but so
consistent
that there is no question, in my mind, anyway, about some of the
assumptions
many of us make about various load sharing and multiplexing options.

a summary of the results are using the Cisco router reporting of
min/avg/max round trip times - the middle number is the one to watch.

packet size            PPP multilink    single serial link configured as
PPP
multilink

1000                   24/24/132        20/20/104

1500                   28/29/52                      24/27/112

500                    16/19/64                      12/13/104

64                     12/14/60         4/7/104

note that in every case, the single link, configured for PPP multilink, is
SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the dual link.

Interesting. So I constructed some further experiments, using extended
ping,
multiple packets of variable size - range 64 to 1500:

             PPP multilink    per packet load share   single T1

              8/17/136           4/17/136              4/17/144

these figures are from over 15,000 pings per scenario, so it is not a case
of random chance here. there is no difference whatsoever between the
results
of a single serial link, per packet load sharing over two serial links, and
PPP multilink. what is most surprising is that a single serial connection
proves JUST AS FAST as a dual serial connection.

Now what I conclude from this is an opinion that multiple T1's DO NOT
really
do much for you in terms of more bandwidth. At least for the kinds of data
flows I am able to generate in the lab.  Furthermore, PPP multilink is
actually harmful to throughput. So I gotta ask - is load sharing really
adding anything to the mix? Really? In real world scenarios and data flows,
where is it that you are gaining anything?

Lastly, I set up a final scenario in which I sent 5000 byte packets. this
means fragmentation and reassembly would occur, because the MTU on all wan
interfaces is 1500 bytes. Here are the results when pinging 5000 times
using
a 5000 byte payload:

single serial link: 64/66/168

per packet load share: 64/64/168

ppp multilink: 48/52/172

note here that the load sharing scenario is slightly faster than the single
serial link, and that the ppp multilink is FAR AND AWAY faster that the
other two. I suspect the reason for this is efficiencies gained under the
multilink scenario when fragmenting and reassembling the oversized payloads

In any case, I hope this presentation will lead to some good discussion of
bandwidth and results. would it be fair to suggest that peoples' efforts to
solve what they perceive as bandwidth issues by implementing multiple WAN
links is really a study in fruitless activity?

Maybe I should have set up some IPX scenarios?

Chuck