There is absolutely no requirement to pass in any order.  Most people will
tell you to take troubleshooting last, and I would agree.  The reason is
that the experience with routers and switches that you should gain in
pursuing the other tests should serve you well in troubleshooting.  Do NOT
try to pass the CCNP tests using books alone.  While it is possible for some
people to do it, it is not a very good way to learn this material.  It's
like learning surgery without ever even touching a cadaver.

I think taking switching first is a fine idea, and a friend of mine has done
just that.

Spend a lot of time studying for Routing, for it is very intellectually
challenging material and is the most important material you will study, in
my opinion.  I did not spend enough time on it, and now I am having to work
harder as I study for the Lab.

 Thomas Larus, CCNP, MCSE