There was a discussion not long ago about the differences between native and
hybrid modes on a Cat6k.  The following passages are from a white paper I
found on CCO, posted 9/5/2001.  The interesting part is where it mentions
the IOS must reset all linecards in the chassis for a successful failover
from a failed sup. engine.  A strong case, I think, to run CatOS on the
switch...

BTW - Passed the written Saturday.  I used the same books everybody else
did, so nothing new I can add about my "experience".  ;-}

Q. Which network-level resiliency options does the Catalyst 6000 family
support?

A. For network-level resilience, Catalyst 6000 family switches also support
automatic recovery from failure using spanning tree per VLAN, and support
load sharing for faster link convergence using Cisco Fast EtherChannel or
Gigabit EtherChannel technologies. Load balancing with even higher
availability can also be accommodated using Cisco multimodule channeling,
where ports from different line cards can be aggregated into
higher-bandwidth links. Catalyst 6000 family switches are also capable of
load balancing across Layer 3 paths. For maximum availability, the Catalyst
6000 family switches support Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), providing
fast cutover to a backup system in the event of a catastrophic failure. HSRP
is available between a pair of MSFC engines in the same chassis (Catalyst
OS), between two MSFC engines in different chassis, and between an MSFC and
an external router. (Caveats in Cisco IOS software for the Catalyst 6000
family of switches are listed later in the document.)

It is important to note that the Catalyst OS and Cisco IOS software for the
Catalyst 6000 family of switches images differ with respect to their
high-availability mechanisms. The Cisco IOS software for the Catalyst 6000
family of switches supports high-availability functionality via a model akin
to that of the Catalyst 7500 series routers enhanced high system
availability (EHSA). Meaning that for a supervisor recovery, the standby
supervisor must first reset all line cards; in this case, a recovery will
take from 30 to 60+ seconds (configuration dependent). In addition, because
of the EHSA model being employed, the MSFCs are not configured independently
of one another when in a redundant configuration, meaning that currently
redundant MSFCs in a system running Cisco IOS software for the Catalyst 6000
family of switches cannot employ HSRP between the MSFCs. The primary MSFC,
however, can run HSRP with an external router, and the standby MSFC will
become primary in the event of a failure (please refer to previous statement
with respect to supervisor recovery).

--
Rik Guyler