I recently had a similar issue with no clock provided one end due
(supposedly to some piece of telco gear). In any case we didn't know that
was happening. We assumed clocking was from the line. It would fail
intermittantly every few days during idle traffic times. The solution was to
provide internal clocking on the unclocked end.
Let's call the unclocked end "A" and the end receiving clocking "B". Until
we found the trouble the quick fix was to loop B back on itself for a minute
then pull the loop down. It would always resync. With an internal CSU you
can view the line with show controllers t1 int number. It logs error counts
in 15 min intervals. A show controllers t1 will give 24hr totals. The error
message at B would be something like Loss of Frame received sending alarm.
Are you saying that the remote end can put a loop back towards you and you
can then do extended pings to your own ip address?

Config should look like the following:
controller T1 0/1
 framing esf
 linecode b8zs
 channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
(I learned about not including the speed parameter the hard way.)
!
interface Serial0/1:0
 ip address 10.xxx.1.3 255.255.255.0