OK, let's see if we are on the same wave length. Usually we are! ;-)

At 12:19 PM 10/4/01, Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:
>Priscilla, yes, I agree with you.  I always have.  What I'm saying however
>is that Novell 802.3 isn't what we know IEEE 802.3 to be.

 From a frame format point of view, Novell 802.3 = IEEE 802.3, and frame
format is all that Novell is considering when they use the term. Novell
uses the term to refer to the standard IEEE 802.3 header which includes DST
SRC EtherType. (It's non-standard to use this without the IEEE 802.2 header
that should follow, as Novell did, but it is still a standard header on its
own.)

>  And Novell 802.2
>isn't what we know IEEE 802.2 to be.

 From a frame format point of view, Novell 802.2 = IEEE 802.2. Novell uses
the term to refer to the standard IEEE 802.2 header which includes DSAP
SSAP and CTRL, following a standard IEEE 802.3 header.

So, Novell uses the terms to refer to standard header formats. IEEE 802.3
and 802.2 address much more than that, and I guess that is your point. IEEE
802.3 is an entire set of specs that address PHY, PMD, MAC, CSMA/CD, etc.
stuff for 10, 100, and 1000-Mbps Ethernet. IEEE 802.2 describes Logical
Link Control (LLC) type 1, 2 and 3. It addresses protocol behavior not just
frame formats.

The really amazing thing is that this is still an issue after 18 years! ;-)

Priscilla

>  Novell just uses their own naming
>scheme to describe industry standard protocols.

Of

> > encapsulation.
> > finalizing their

> > you'll see