The IPX header has a "transport control" field which is really a "hop
count." The sender sets it to zero. Each router adds one to it.

Novell documentation used to show it as a 4-bit field with 4 bits reserved
before it. Recent documentation shows it as an 8-bit field. Older document
ion said a router would trash a frame if it arrived with a transport
control field already at 15 (0xFFFF). Recently I read this weird thing on
Novell's site:

A RIP router discards the packet if the value in this field is greater than
15.

An NLSP router discards the packet if the value in this field is greater
than the value of the Hop Count Limit parameter, which is 127 by default.

Is this believable? From what we know about the router having two separate
tasks (forwarding and learning the topology), I think the hop-count limits
happen when installing routes. I could believe that RIP and NLSP are
different. But when a router goes to forward a frame, is it really going to
behave differently with respect to hop count if it's running NLSP versus
RIP? Does it even care which protocol installed the route. The FIB probably
wouldn't even say which protocol installed the route?

Chuck likes to remind us about these differences so maybe he has some
comments.

Thanks

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer