From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Robert Hanley
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 3:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Cisco to buy Nortel??? [7:22909]

Amazing...I don't mean to be haughty or insulting
(really) but all of this seems so clueless:

Why the concept of Cisco buying Nortel is so
laughable. They might be able to pull it off
financially right now, but it would be like Hyundai
buying GM. The problem is that even though Cisco is a
huge player in the Enterprise and service provider
space, in the RBOC, ILEC space they are out of their
element, and are even hated, much less distrusted due
to their efforts to bully the standards organizations,
etc... in the carrier space.

I personally think that the view of cisco is always
skewed by those who see them from the view of the
enterprise, which is small potatoes from the
standpoint of a carrier vendor. Maybe the real message
here is that the distinctions between those two
markets are disappearing, or at least their interests
are merging (can anyone say OE).

I don't mean to "dis" anyone on this list, but I think
the game is changing, perhaps in ways we all don't
understand, but at least the Nortel's of the world are
trying. To say Cisco will buy Nortel is like saying
McDonalds will start seving steak.

=== message truncated ===

http://personals.yahoo.com