The command you need is "dir flash:" - don't forget the colon after "flash."

When you do "show version" you should see an indication of the flash memory:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Technology Software
IOS Technology(tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0

System image file is "flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120.0.0.29-XU.bin"

Here's how to find documentation:

http:///www.cisco.com
>From the Products and Technologies list, select Switches.
Scroll down to Catalyst 2900 Series XL Switches .
Click on Documentation.