> After much experimentation and much frustration, I finally solved the
> problem with my BVI interface.  It turns out that removing the default
> route pointing at the BVI1 interface and replacing it with a default route
> pointing at the next-hop IP address fixed the problem.

How does your router know where to route traffic ?  The default route was
pointing
to x.x.x.26 (when the traffic got there, it knew not where to go).  At the
next hop, whatever device was there, used its routing table to forward
traffic further.

> I'm not totally clear on why this made a difference, but it did.  As soon
> as that change was made, I could reach the IP assigned to the BVI
interface
> from hosts out in the world, and general connectivity was enabled.  Wild.

Routing, its a beautiful thing :)

> If someone can explain to me why a next-hop static route vs an interface
> static route made a difference, I'd appreciate it.

.26 did not have a routing table (it was you).  Had .26 been another router
on the network, it would have worked fine.

BTW (what was the next hop , .25 ?)