When configuring route redistribution you are able to set a default metric
that will apply to all routes redistributed into a particular protocol. In
the case of EIGRP there are parameters that must be set, these are
bandwidth, delay, reliability, load, mtu. Although I understand these
parameters and what they are where do you get these real world values? I
understand that bandwidth is the minimum bandwidth of the route, but values
like delay. Where are those values derived? In the Cisco Press BSCN book and
also various others to include Sybex, they discuss these parameters but
never mention where and how they are derived. I don't mean what is delay I
know what that is, but how would an engineer determine what delay of a route
or link is in a working environment. Or are these numbers in the book
plucked from thin air.