Below is an excerpt from a Cisco case study on multiple route reflectors
within a cluster:

An important thing to note, is that peer-groups were not used in the above
configuration. If the clients inside a cluster do not have direct IBGP peers
among one another and they exchange updates through the RR, peer-goups
should not be used. If peer groups were to be configured, then a potential
withdrawal to the source of a route on the RR would be sent to all clients
inside the cluster and could cause problems.

The router sub-command bgp client-to-client reflection is enabled by default
on the RR. If BGP client-to-client reflection were turned off on the RR and
redundant BGP peering was made between the clients, then using peer groups
would be alright.

Does anyone know what they mean? I know in IOS versions 12.0 and lower there
were issues with route reflection using peer groups, but I am trying to
figure out what they are trying to say here. What do they mean by a
potential withdrawal to the source of a route on the RR? Any help would be
appreciated.

Guy H. Lupi
NOC Engineer
Eureka GGN