Ok.  I just want to clarify something since a couple of people have emailed
me off list asking how I think an MCSE is going to help me attain my CCIE.
:-)

The short answer is, I don't expect it to help me attain the CCIE.  My
thought processes on this were varied.  Mainly, I know I am nowhere near
ready to attempt the lab.  So why spend $1250 when I know I am not ready?  I
did not mean to imply that I am going to stop with Cisco.  Quite the
contrary.  I have a home lab which I intend to continue working on.  I also
have my job which requires me to keep up with Cisco.

But in my job, what I tend to find is there are the server people who know
the server end really well.  And there are the Network people who know the
Infrastructure and the routing equipment really well.  But there are not too
many people who can troubleshoot from end-to-end.  I want to be one of those
people.  There are also a lot of companies which are migrating to W2K,
including the company I am at right now.  We have had a lot of issues with
this.  (Which, of course, keeps getting blamed on the switches!)  :-)  But
that is another story.

On another note, I wanted to plug some great resources I found for learning
to analyze traffic with a Sniffer.  I don't have any vested interest in
these books.  However, since I have been searching for quite some time for
some good reference material for learning sniffer and have had a hard time
finding any, I was quite happy when I found these.  They are published by
http://www.podbooks.com and are written by Laura Chappell.  I have the
TCP/IP Analysis and Troubleshooting which I bought from Amazon.com for $66.
However, I have since found that podbooks sells the set of 4 directly on
it's website for $99.  So I am probably going to purchase those and slap
this one on Ebay.  :-)

They have really been good at explaining how to analyze a packet trace.  I
already knew how to do a basic capture, but analysis was another story.  I
just thought I would mention these in case anyone else out there was in a
situation like mine.  Stuck in a job that won't pay for training, but
wanting to learn packet capture analysis.  I had not seen these particular
books mentioned previously.

Heather Buri