At 08:22 AM 10/25/01, Richard Botham wrote:
>All,
>I'm trying to make sure that when I run IPX routing I can identify the
>router by using the ipx routing 2.2.2 where the router is router 2.
>I cannot get this to work correctly as it always picks the ethernet mac
>address instead of 2.2.2

Yes, that's true. The documentation makes it sound like the new 2.2.2
address will be used for all packets sourced by the router, but this isn't
so.

What the documentation should say (and maybe it does, but maybe not too
clearly) is that serial ports don't have a MAC address. By default they
will source IPX packets using a Node ID that is from the first LAN
interface. If you don't like that, then you can tell the router to use
something else (by adding the parameter to ipx routing). I don't have a WAN
sniffer, but I can verify that what you are seeing on Ethernet happens on
my routers also. I think it's a feature not a bug. ;-)

Albany#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Albany(config)#ipx routing 2.2.2
Albany(config)#
Albany#
Albany#
Albany#s run
!
hostname Albany
!
ipx routing 0002.0002.0002
!
interface Ethernet0
  ip address 10.10.0.1 255.255.255.0
  ipx network 100
  no mop enabled
!
interface Ethernet1
  ip address 172.16.50.1 255.255.255.0
  ipx network 200
!
etc
!
end

Albany#

But here's the IPX RIP on Ethernet 0 from the router. It still uses its
network number and MAC address, not 2.2.2.

802.3 Header
   Destination:          FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  Ethernet Broadcast
   Source:               00:00:0C:05:3E:80
   Length:               48
IPX - NetWare Protocol
   Checksum:             0xFFFF
   Length:               48
   Transport Control:
   Reserved:             %0000
   Hop Count:            %0000
   Packet Type:          1  RIP
   Destination Network:  0x00000100
   Destination Node:     FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  Ethernet Broadcast
   Destination Socket:   0x0453  Routing Information Protocol
   Source Network:       0x00000100
   Source Node:          00:00:0C:05:3E:80
   Source Socket:        0x0453  Routing Information Protocol
RIP - Routing Information Protocol
   Operation:            2  Response
Network Number Set # 1
   Network Number:       0x00000200