I really do not agree with this at all. Learning to use the sniffer.. any
sniffer, is at the basic level.. easy. Learning how to filter the rush of
data and get something meaningful out of it all is half skill and half black
magic ;) It takes a certain level of experience AND skill to put together a
decode filter by using signatures and boolean functions that is not taught
in very many places. And when you are dealing with viruses, napsterlike
clones, badly behaved apps and so on, it's not just knowning the TCP stack..
it's knowing how that packet is contructed, why it is contructed that way,
why is it doing what it does and how is it doing what it does.

That is why I know one engineer who charges right around 12K *a week* and
she gets it every week of the year...

I also personally know several engineers while good on routers and spouting
the OSI layers, TCP layers, etc.. are pretty useless on a sniffer for
extended troubleshooting.

::off soap box::

MikeS

The more I learn, I understand that I know less and less of what I thought I
knew