From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Aaron Shively
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 4:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: BGP Neighbor distribute-list question? [7:24177]

I need some clarification on the the neighbor distribute-list command used
for filtering BGP updates.

The book I am reading gives the following example, and it is either a typo
or I am just misunderstanding it.

You have the following route filter configuration:
Router bgp 100
Network 172.16.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0
Neighbor 172.16.3.1 remote-as 100
Neighbor 172.16.1.1 remote-as 100 distribute-list 1 out

Access-list 1 deny 172.16.5.0 0.0.0.255
Access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255

There is a diagram and 172.16.1.1/24 is on Neighbor 2 and 172.16.3.1/24 is
on Neighbor 1

It then says that the above configuration does the following:
The use of the distribute-list command and access-list 1 prevents the BGP
routing updates from
neighbor 1 propagating into neighbor 2's routing table.

Also, in the diagram Neighbor 1 (172.16.3.1/24) is connected to
172.16.5.0/24 so to me is seems
like there is a typo in the book and instead of having the config line read:
Neighbor 172.16.1.1 remote-as 100 distribute-list 1 out

I think it should read:
Neighbor 172.16.3.1 remote-as 100 distribute-list 1 out

This would then make the above statment correct in saying that it prevents
the BGP routing updates
from neighbor 1 propagating into neighbor 2's routing table.

Please let me know if what I am saying sounds correct based on the above
information and that it is
in fact a typo, or if maybe I am just not understanding it correctly.

Thanks,

-Aaron