Technically, that is not entirely true.  If you look at the RFC
that governs NCP negotiation for IP(RFC 1332), it says this:

3.3. IP-Address

Description
This Configuration Option provides a way to negotiate the IP
address to be used on the local end of the link. It allows the
sender of the Configure-Request to state which IP-address is
desired, or to request that the peer provide the information.
The peer can provide this information by NAKing the option, and
returning a valid IP-address.

If negotiation about the remote IP-address is required, and the
peer did not provide the option in its Configure-Request, the
option SHOULD be appended to a Configure-Nak. The value of the
IP-address given must be acceptable as the remote IP-address,
or indicate a request that the peer provide the information.

By default, no IP address is assigned.

In order to get an ACK, you will need a response from the
access server to provide an IP address.  Normally, when a
request is made with an IP address of 0.0.0.0, that will
normally trigger an RFC 1541 DHCP discover.  The access server
can be configured to either pass along this request for DHCP
assigned information, including any standard DHCP options (IP
addr, mask, DNS, WINs, etc.), or it can use a statically
assigned values you have configured on the access server.
There are merits to doing it both ways.

As far as windows, assigning a /32 mask to all IP assignments
via a dialup connection, I must confess I have not seen this
phenomenon.  I decided to dial Netzero's network twice for a
test.  Here is what I received:

F:\>ipconfig /all

Windows NT IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . : wernerpd
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 209.247.163.218
                                      209.247.163.216

PPP adapter NdisWan5:

        Description . . . . . . . . : NdisWan Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-01-d0-2e-9c-80
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 209.244.227.9
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . : 209.244.227.9

LAN NIC assigned DNS values are as follows:

207.217.77.82
207.217.120.83
207.217.126.81

I then dialed the network again:

F:\>ipconfig /all

Windows NT IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . : wernerpd
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 209.247.163.218
                                      209.247.163.216
PPP adapter NdisWan5:

        Description . . . . . . . . : NdisWan Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-01-d0-2e-9c-80
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 63.215.152.226
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . : 63.215.152.226

Note that in both instances, DHCP was not used for IP
assignment, so this would seem to indicate that these values
were manually assigned on the access servers.

v/r,

Paul Werner

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more