You are correct.  The ^ character symbolizes the beginning of the AS
path so you're as-path access list looks like it should work exactly as
you think.  I'm not aware of the ^ having any other meaning in this
context.  I used to have a link on regular expressions but I can't seem
to find it.  If I come across it I'll post it to the list.

John

>>> "Chuck Larrieu"  10/28/01 10:00:53 PM >>>
for an as-path filter, here is what I want to accomplish:

from one particular router to another particular router I want to
filter any
AS path whose most recent AS was 5555

so if the BGP route has a path in the BGP table as 5555 1111 4444 ? or
5555
9999 ? etc
then I want that route to be filtered to a particular neighbor

routes such as 3333 5555 ? or 7777 2222 5555 3333, for example are OK
pass

my access-list is:

ip as-path access-list 55 deny ^5555_
ip as-path access-list 55 permit .*
!
and my neighbor statement is neighbor a.b.c.d filter-list 55 out

does the ^ character really mean what I think it is supposed to mean?
I.e
does it filter any AS path that BEGINS with 5555, or is it doing
something
unexpected?

I have a complex mesh ( mess too ;-> ) of BGP neighbors, and it is a
bit
hard to tell if I am accomplishing what I think I am accomplishing.

thanks.

Chuck