At 08:25 PM 10/28/01, Tribavan Raina wrote:
>Hi..
>
>When we give no keepalive command on ethernet or fast ethernet ,the port and
>line protocol come up but when we do the same thing for serial port why
>doesnt it work.

It should work if you turn keepalive off on both ends of the serial link.

On Ethernet, the router sends a keepalive to itself. It looks like this:

Ethernet Header
   Destination:  00:00:0C:05:3E:80
   Source:       00:00:0C:05:3E:80
   Protocol Type:0x9000
   Packet Data: 46 bytes (all zeros)

If the router can send and receive these, then it's happy. If you tell it
not to check to see if it can send and receive these (no keepalive), it's
happy too.

On serial links, the router sends a keepalive to the other end of the link
and expects a reply. I don't have a serial sniffer, but here's what the
debug looks like:

charlotte#debug serial int
Serial network interface debugging is on
charlotte#
Serial0: HDLC myseq 2, mineseen 2, yourseen 5, line up
Serial0: HDLC myseq 3, mineseen 3, yourseen 6, line up
Serial0: HDLC myseq 4, mineseen 4, yourseen 7, line up
Serial0: HDLC myseq 5, mineseen 5, yourseen 8, line up
Serial0: HDLC myseq 6, mineseen 6, yourseen 9, line up
Serial0: HDLC myseq 7, mineseen 7, yourseen 10, line up

The router keeps track of its own sequence number (myseq), the ACKs for its
sequence numbers coming from the other side (mineseen), and the sequence
numbers coming from the other side (yourseen). The router increments its
sequence number by one every 10 seconds, when it sends its next keepalive.
It expects the ACKs from the other side to keep pace. If they don't, it
declares the link down. The other side does the same thing.

But if you turn off keepalive on both ends of an HDLC link, the link stays
up. I  haven't tried it with other encapsulations such as Frame Relay.

Priscilla

>May be it is a silly  question.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com