I apologize for the off-topic post, but as usual I know someone here
must have the answer to this one.  It's network-related, at least.  :-)

We have an issue sending a file with a .txt extension via email.  This
file is generated by another program and it has exceptionlly long
fields, meaning that there is over 1000 characters before the first
CR/LF.  The issue is that when we send this file via email, after the
990th character an exclamation point and then a CR/LF are being
inserted.

If we change the extension to something else--like .foo--this doesn't
occur.  I'm assuming this is because the mechanism in SMTP that handles
file attachments uses one set of rules to handle text, or other known
file types, but a different set of rules for unknown filetypes.

Our workaround is to change the filename to something else before we
send it.  This seems really odd to me, though.  Do any of you know why
this is occurring and if there is another workaround?

Thanks,
John