ARP is an IP term. But AppleTalk has the AppleTalk Address Resolution
Protocol (AARP) which behaves just like IP ARP, with a few additional
features to support dynamic addressing. But its main function is to find
the data-link-layer address when the network-layer address is known, which
is just like IP ARP.

Novell IPX doesn't need such a feature because the Node ID in the
network.node network-layer address IS the data-link-layer address. So if a
station knows another station's network-layer address, it knows the
station's data-link-layer address too.

DECnet doesn't need such a feature either because it changes the
data-link-layer address on an interface so that it is based on the
network-layer address.

I can't remember too much about Banyan. It may have an ARP.

What else is there?? Hmmmmm. NetBEUI doesn't have a network layer, so it
doesn't need ARP. SNA is such a different beast, I doubt it has ARP.

We could talk about WANs too I guess. Frame Relay has inverse ARP. HDLC has
SLARP.

Priscilla

At 09:01 PM 10/30/01, Dave Shine wrote:
>Does anyone know what protocols do or better yet do
>not support ARP?
>
>D.S.

>Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
>http://personals.yahoo.com

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com