Personally speaking I am confused too.  I am a CCSE and passed MCNS with
perfect points on both on the IPSEC section and I still don't understand it
perfectly.  I can use the isakmp, crypto, and FW-1 commands effortlessly yet
I really still don't know what the real difference is between IPSEC and
IKE.  I even read that like 70 page file from Cisco, deploying IPSec blah
blah and I was just more confused.  What I do really understand it ESP and
AH.  That is really clear and necessary to understand for transform sets.

Watch me get a perfect on this section tomorrow on the Advanced PIX and
still not really have a clue!

Peace

Theo