From: Jill Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 11:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FTP Server [7:24525]

    [ Part 1, Text/PLAIN  55 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

Thank you very much for all your help.

I still don't quite understand about the Passive Mode.

The idea of setting up this access-list is for the users to dial in from
home and to be able to do FTP to the servers at work.

Thanks.

Jill

Jonathan Hays wrote:
      Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

      > If it's not passive mode, the data channel is initiated by
      the server from
      > port 20 (FTP data) to the ephemeral port provided by the
      client in its PORT
      > command. Ephemeral just means a short-lived port with a
      number greater than
      > 1023.
      >
      > If it is passive mode, then the data channel is initiated
      by the client
      > from an ephemeral port to an ephemeral port provided by the
      server in its
      > PASV command.
      >
      > In other words, access lists with FTP are tricky.
      >
      > Priscilla
      >
      > At 03:14 PM 10/30/01, Jonathan Hays wrote:
      > >Don't we also want a ACL line for the ftp data channel?
      > >
      > >access-list 110 permit tcp any host 192.3.10.10 eq
      ftp-data

      > >And if the server is using passive ftp
      > >
      > >access-list 110 permit tcp any host 192.3.10.10 gt 1023
      established

      Oops, you're right! I'm getting a bit rusty...

      The "ftp-data" entry would allow data connections from an
      external ftp
      server to ftp
      sessions initiated by the LAN client which is not what the
      original poster
      wanted.

      However, the "gt 1023 established" entry should allow access
      for Internet
      clients to the
      LAN ftp server doing passive ftp. But it does open things up
      a bit too much
      for the
      comfort of most paranoid sysadmins.
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]