Hi Priscilla,
The device doing the pinging is a UNIX box connected to another switch.  I
have also tried pinging from a PC connected directly to the 1924.  The
device being pinged has been a PC, Notebook, NT Server.

I also like Micheal's advice.  I did telnet onto the switch, under the Port
Addressing Menu, I erased the MAC address (thinking that would place it in
the same state of a never used port).  After the switch port showed
"unaddressed", I tried pinging the host on that port.  The response as
instant.

Now, I am going to try this on a port thats never been used (need to arrange
this). I will then see how long the 1924 takes to learn the MAC.  I also
thought I would try this in-house once I get a brand new switch.

PS All devices are on the same IP subnet.

Thanks, I will post an update.

KM