> I am not being able to ping a local interface on a router.
> The encapsulation is default and is connected back to back
> on a serial interface to the next router. The output of show
> interface
> shows that  the interface is up.

In order to ping a serial interface the actual ICMP packet exits the router,
"bounces" (for lack of a better word) of the directly connected remote
router, and returns to the original router.  If your directly connected
router is not reachabe, you will not be able to ping your local interface.
You will notice that it will actually take longer to ping your local router
then a directly connected router because of this behavior.

Try this, ping the remote router.  If it does not work, then fix that
problem first.  Make sure you have clock-rate turned on the DCE serial
interface if this is a lab environmnet.  Once you can ping the remote
router, then try to ping the local interface.  I bet it works.

As an experment try the following.  On the remote router setup an access
list that prevents ICMP (but allows all other IP) and apply to the inbound
serial interface.  This will prevent the local router from pinging it's own
local serial interface.  Cool, huh!

Best of luck,

Paul Borghese