OK. I did some basic testing. Here is what I found:

if you use the neighbor a.b.c.d local-as xxxx form of the command, then your
neighbor sees you as AS xxxx, no matter what you have configured as your
"real" AS.

------------
router bgp 5555
neighbor a.b.c.d remote-as 1000
neighbor a.b.c.d local-AS xxxx

router bgp 1000
neighbor w.x.w.z remote-as xxxx
-----------

your neighbor has to use the neighbor a.b.c.d remote-as xxxx, matching what
you say is your local-as

all routes sent to that neighbor have the "xxxx" as the most recent AS in
the AS-Path.

Doing it this way would accomplish what you are asking.

The intent of the local-AS command apears to  relate to BGP confederations
and the way they behave. The alrternative method, as shown in the
configuration guides on CCO, appears to be a means of modifying inbound
routes to achieve the optional community status of local-AS. that is, these
routes will be retained only in the local ( iBGP / confederation ) BGP
table. and will not be advertised to an esternal BGP peer.

Not being a BGP sophisticate, I may well be misunderstanding some of this.
I invite those with better understanding to clarify. I certainly am hard
pressed to see any value to this, but then I can fill a small library with
what I don't know about the subtleties of BGP.

HTH

Chuck

""news""  wrote in message
> Hi
>
> what I am trying to achieve is as follow
>
> AS 100 is connected to AS 200.
> AS 200 is connected to AS 300
>
> AS 100 has route from AS 300.  So the AS-PATH List is: 200, 300, i
> The task is: AS 100 should see all the route from AS 300 as if they came
> from AS 100 directly the path will look like 200, i
>
> Faisal
>

> ""Chuck Larrieu""  wrote in message
> > interesting question.  a seach among the command references and
> > configuration guides on CCO yields nothing under 12.1, but under 12.2
> states
> > this command was introduced in 12.0(4.4)S and that in 12.0(5)T
> > the address family configuration mode was added.
> >
> > I copied this stuff out of CCO, but it is not making sense to me at the
> > moment. I can find no reference to the command and function in
Parkhurst,
> > which carries a 2001 copyright but no telling when the contents were
> locked
> > down for publishing.
> >
> > In re-reading this thread and the documentation below, I'm still a bit
> > unclear as to what is being accomplished here. Telling a neighbor you
are
> AS
> > X when you are really AS Y ??
> >
> > I'm working on some BGP scenarios now, so I'll try to add this to the
list
> > and report back.
> >
> > Chuck
> >
> > ----------
> > stuff from CCO:
> >

> > The next example shows how the route map named set-community is applied
> > the outbound updates to neighbor 171.69.232.50 and the local-as
community
> > attribute is used to filter the routes. The routes that pass access list
1
> > have the special community attribute value local-as. The remaining
routes
> > are advertised normally. This special community value automatically
> prevents
> > the advertisement of those routes by the BGP speakers outside autonomous
> > system 200.
> >
> > router bgp 65000
> >  network 1.0.0.0 route-map set-community
> >  bgp confederation identifier 200
> >  bgp confederation peers 65001
> >  neighbor 171.69.232.50 remote-as 100
> >  neighbor 171.69.233.2 remote-as 65001
> > !
> > route-map set-community permit 10
> >  set community local-as
> >

> > neighbor local-as
> > To allow customization of the autonomous system number for external
Border