Not explained in bits, but that is what I always tell ppl a clean way to do:
2 things: subnet mask, wildcard mask.
You should be well comfortable with what a subnet mask is.
So, take the host mask, 255.255.255.255.
When you want a wildcard mask, subtract subnet mask from the
host mask decimal by decimal.
e.g. to deny a class C network, your netmask is 255.255.255.0,
host mask - netmask = 0.0.0.255, which is your wildcard mask.
therefore the list look like:
  access-list 1 deny 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255
And thus a wildcard mask corresponding to 255.255.128.0 would be
0.0.127.255.

HTH
Gary