This was my thought, as well, but the tech checked the encapsulation.
It appears that the message says "HDLC" even if you have the interface
set for HDLC, Frame Relay, or SDLC.  I'd love to find a list of those
type codes but I gave up after searching for about ten minutes using
CCO, Hotbot, and Google.

Thanks,
John

>>> "Priscilla Oppenheimer"  11/7/01 5:31:53 PM

Cisco's HDLC has a type field that is like an EtherType to identify the

network layer. If you're really using SDLC, then this wouldn't apply,
but
maybe the router "forgot" that it was SDLC and went back to HDLC.
Weirder
things have happened!

Priscilla

At 03:52 PM 11/7/01, John Neiberger wrote:
>I've never seen this one before and CCO isn't very helpful.  We have
an
>ATM connected via SDLC to a 2610 router.  It went belly up at some
point
>and debugging on the router reports an Illegal HDLC Type Code of 831.
>
>I've searched every site I could think of and can't find a list of
>serial line type codes, assuming there even is such a beast.  My
guess
>is that the ATM has lost its mind and isn't using SDLC any longer but
>this has made me curious about this error message.
>
>Do any of you know how to find out more about these serial type
codes?

>Thanks,
>John

Priscilla Oppenheimer