>Hello,
>
>I wounder how 50 callers call one customer support phone number at the same
>time   without getting a busy signal. How does this work? Could some one
>explain this? How does this relate to PBX operation and phone extensions?
>

>Thanks
>
>John Tafasi

The phone number you call in the network is an alias for a group of
numbers. Indeed, the translation of a toll-free number will vary with
where you are.

In a PBX, etc., this is called a rotary or hunt group.  Originally,
when you ordered 555-1000 and 30 lines, you'd actually get 555-1000
through 555-1029.  More modern switching systems don't need to do
that; they can associate 30 accesses with one number.

A true PBX extension is something else--it has local significance
only at the PBX, and is not known to the telephone network. There are
"extensions" that really are associated with telephone numbers and
either can be reached from the operator or by Direct Inward Dialing
(that is the proper term).