weekend over. lab shut down. but I believe the couple of people who joined
up learned a lot. one of the participants will be taking his CCIE lab this
week. I'm waiting the good news.

Question came up. One of the participants was able to connect to be using a
static default route. He sent me his configs. If that's what's on his
router, so be it.

However, I know from long hard experience that BGP does NOT form neighbor
relationships with a neighbor the route to whom is NOT in the routing table.

For example:

R8#sh ip bgp 200.0.0.4
% Network not in table
R8#

as you can see, there is reachability and connectivity:

R8#ping 200.0.0.4

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 200.0.0.4, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 8/80/128 ms
R8#

interestingly, the other side prints out a neighbor report, but indicated
that no messages are being received or sent:

R4#sh ip bgp nei 222.222.222.8
BGP neighbor is 222.222.222.8,  remote AS 44001, external link
  BGP version 4, remote router ID 0.0.0.0
  BGP state = Active
  Last read 02:42:47, hold time is 180, keepalive interval is 60 seconds
  Received 0 messages, 0 notifications, 0 in queue
  Sent 0 messages, 0 notifications, 0 in queue  <<<=======  no messages
sent!!!!!
  Route refresh request: received 0, sent 0
  Default minimum time between advertisement runs is 30 seconds

For address family: IPv4 Unicast
  BGP table version 429, neighbor version 0
  Index 3, Offset 0, Mask 0x8
  0 accepted prefixes consume 0 bytes
  Prefix advertised 0, suppressed 0, withdrawn 0
  Number of NLRIs in the update sent: max 0, min 0

  Connections established 0; dropped 0
  Last reset never
  External BGP neighbor may be up to 10 hops away.
  No active TCP connection
R4#

the guy who told me he is using static defaults is also using a dial up
account to the internet. I am suspecting that concessions are made within
the code to accommodate dial up. Anyone have any insight on this?

Chuck

Three operating systems for Tier One manufacturers under the sky
Seven for the Tier Twos with their technology from the age of stone
Nine for low end manufacturers doomed to go out of business
One for Dark Box mounted on a Dark Rack
In the land of the internet, where the networks all lie.
One IOS to forward them all, one IOS to find them,
One IOS to summarize them all and in the routing tables bind them
In the land of the internet, where all networks lie

JRR Chambers