That is exactly what I found.

Bill

"McCallum, Robert" wrote:

> Bill,
>
> That good old issue of virtual link authentication.  I think everyone who
has or is sitting their lab soon has been through what you are
experiencing.  A quick search of the archives would find your answer in no
time as this topic has been discussed beyond the scope but to be nice to you
the quick
> version is.
>
> 11.2   you need to put area 0 authentication message digest on the other
end of the virtual links router (you are extending area 0 to that router
after all).. now in some cases you do not have to put any auth on the
virtual link but I would say that is wrong so you should do
> area 21 virtual-link 1.1.1.1 message-digest 1 md5 hello. This will then
work.

> 12.1 you do not need to put area 0 auth on the receiving router.  For the
virtual link you do
> area 21 virtual-link 1.1.1.1 authentication message-digest
message-digest-key 1 md5 hello.

> When you mix and match the IOS versions you have to think on the lowest
level in other words do it the way it works in 11.2.