From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 1:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 2 "Line Hit" Scenarios... [7:25928]

At 10:12 AM 11/12/01, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Ether normally is connectionless and unreliable, so the frame would be
>dropped by the receiver if an error is detected. A higher layer protocol
>will have to request transmission from the source.
>
>However, LLC type 2 service (used primarily for SNA) provides reliable,

FYI, the reliability of LLC Type 2 is usually end-to-end (host-to-host). An
end-station host would retransmit if a frame didn't get acknowledged, not a
router or bridge. When is that not the case? (A CID-type question. ;-)

By the way, LLC Type 2 is also used by NetBEUI, in addition to SNA.

Priscilla

>connection oriented service over ether. That's not particularly
>relevant, though in your scenario, but I always found it an interesting
>point. :-)
>
>Todd Carswell wrote:
>

> > PCA-------B1-----------B2--------PCB
>

>Question 2:  There's an ETHERNET connection between B1 and B2.  The bridges
> > are still using Transparent Bridging and PCA sends a packet to PCB.
Again,
> > the frame has an error.  Will B1 be the device to handle the
>retransmission?
>

>--
>Jason
>
>Boson BCMSN1 BSCN2 BSCI2 practice tests