Hi Jim,

Sounds like you're using an older IOS with flaky IPSEC code. Try upgrading
to one of the 12.2 releases. Solves a lot of IPSEC issues.  May also need a
policy route map on the router side (internal interface) to set the DF bit
to 0 (don't fragment). Will solve MTU issues with IPSEC between the two
boxes.

Paul Lalonde