Interested in feedback on using BGP as a Disaster Recovery and/or Load
Balancing solution:

BACKGROUND
Currently, we have one production datacenter (COLO) (DC1) with 2 100MB feeds
to redundant 7200s, 2 ip class C blocks (say 1.1.1.x and 2.2.2.x) one behind
each 7200. this is a Cisco failover setup with all Cisco gear - mirrored
6509s., local directors, PIXs, etc). primary and secondary DNS are behind
7200 and a firewall on a DMZ. Third dns server is at separate corp site
(CORP) on DMZ which is connected via backend T1 on another VLAN... way
behind the 7200s.

Anyway, to the fun part:

OBJECTIVE:
Goal is to bring up a disaster recovery data-center (DC2) (another
location/provider) where by we could route traffic to this new site should
production site go down (within an hour). It doesn't have to be utilized
normally for complete loadbalancing, as it won't have all the hardware,
redundancy, etc. that DC1 has. This site would have its own class C block
(say 3.3.3.x) allocated from this new hosting center/ISP with backend T1 to
corp and perhaps a backend T1 to product DC1 for incremental DB
replication/administration, etc.

Still trying to finish my CCNP, I'm a relative newbie with BGP, however
based on my understanding we were thinking that BGP would help solve this
problem by creating one AS comprised of the IP blocks at both locations (1&2
from DC1 and 3 from DC2). We could inject weighted static routes into each
ISPs AS respectively and if the primary site failed traffic on the internet
destined for both 1.1.1.x and 2.2.2.x would be routed over to DC2. I realize
that there are many more details regarding the BGP setup but I'm trying to
narrow down the functional - high level architecture to communicate
internally for project approval. Is that a correct understanding? That is,
can BGP function this way? I'm wondering if anyone else out there is doing
this and can speak to whether (or not) BGP can help us out.

Appreciate anyone's ideas or feedback-
Byron