Just been reading the above RFC. To quote

"Checksum is the 16-bit one's complement of the one's
complement sum of a pseudo header of information from
the IP header, the UDP header, and the data, padded
with zero octets at the end (if necessary) to make a
multiple of two octets.

The pseudo header conceptually prefixed to the UDP
header contains the source address, the destination
address, the protocol, and the UDP length. This
information gives protection against misrouted
datagrams. This checksum procedure is the same as is
used in TCP."

This business about a pseudo header is bothering me.
If the IP header has already had a checksum that runs
across the source and destination address then why
does UDP do this again ? It also creates an obvious
dependancy of UDP on IP also.

Another question about padding making a multiple of
two octets. I seem to remember Novell IPX requiring
even numbered packets (2.X) maybe. Is this something
to do with 16 bit processors working more efficiently
with an even packet sizes i.e reading two bytes at a
time was less expensive processor-wise than reading an
odd byte ?

Phil.

Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and
Music Charts
http://uk.my.yahoo.com