Jason

How fast are the hard disks on these servers you will be connecting.

I have had experience with this setup with a 6006 switch and the limitations
on the connections is the speed of the hard disk solution be it RAID etc.

For seventy servers I think the 30 Gig backplane will be more than ample.

Cheers

Jim Gillen

Snr Communications Engineer
AUSTRAC

Ph:   9950 0842
Fax:  9950 0074

>>> "Bullock, Jason"  15/11/01 6:58:31 >>>
This message has been scanned by MAILSweeper.

Hey there.

dig the list, always have.  I am looking to confirm a rumor on the cat 6513
switch.
I was thinking of doing gig Ethernet from my server farm to the switch
through the core.
Only problem, is I am looking at like 70 servers each with a gig port,
hopefully Ethernet.  This is about 5 blades in the cat 6513, with 16 ports
per blade.

Now the rumor.  Sounds like cisco's cat 6513 will only support 30 gig
backplane for the gig Ethernet line cards.  This means theoretical maxing
out the switch with 30 Ethernet gig ports to servers running gig nic's.
Has anyone else heard this?   I think the gig fiber solution scales to a 250
gig backplane, but this gig Ethernet limitation concerns me....

thanks for all responses in advance!
jason
the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com