Trip over the same rock fantastic....

Spanning Tree Protocol is where you want to go.  Here's a typical symptom:

Install new workstation on high end switch to troubleshoot multimedia
through firewall.  Connection fails. Link light fine. Realize all other cu
ports are static address servers.  Further realize DHCP uses broadcast for
address.  Static address on workstation connects.  Hummmm.

STP is the culprit.  Why it comes up as a default for simple non-redundant
route switched systems I'll leave up to the conjecturests. (Yes, I do know
the advertised reason.)  If you look at a STP packet through a sniffer, most
of the settings will become clear.  The most important is the time it takes
to become what's known as in a 'forwarding' state.  Typically this adds up
to 50 seconds.  Blocking--listening --learning and finally forwarding.

By the time most of a minute has passed, Microsoft devices needing an
address have given up.  They have no address and so, have no network
connection.

I've tripped over this rock in my early days of Cisco switching.

I'm tempted to entirely disable STP, in my environment; point to point,
non-redundant, no ring.  There have been discussions on this in previous
threads.  I believe the answer was similar to my feelings --- why not, if
you don't need it?  Not sure of the C(isco)ompany line, though.

Port fast, simply enough, enables a quick STP forwarding state.  Uplink fast
is similar, but over trunked connections, I believe.  Other vendors have
other cutesy names for similar functions.

And, by the way, while STP is a basic, and comparatively simple, those, like
me, who have not much switching stick time, have found it confounding in
that 'real world' we frequent.  That world sometimes has some serious time
limitations.  I tend to learn more quickly by knowing what I looking for.

Very best, G.
VP OGC