more below

> Jason Carnevale got me thinking that there are a number of ways that
> labs, even more than real-world configurations, go bad.  I'd like to
> start a checklist of such things.
>
> 1.  There is no return path for your test signal (e.g., ping, traceroute).
>      Also a common real-world problem.
>
> 2.  A given routing scenario appears at first to work, but fails as
routers
>      are added.  The real situation was that dynamic routing never worked
>      in the scenario, but you had connectivity through directly connected
>      subnets.
>
> 3.  Weird protocol combinations imposed by the limited number of routers
>      in a lab, in which protocols are asked to do things they were not
>      designed to do (e.g., IGPs between AS). Multiple levels of
> redistribution
>      tend to fall into this area.
>
> 4.  You do not see expected routes due to completely correct summarization
>      or aggregation.
>
> 5.  Classful versus classless interactions.  The real world, at least as
>      defined by the Internet, is classless.
>
> 6.  Failure to specific ip subnet-zero.
>
> 7.  Attempts to maximize summarization even if you pick up address ranges
>      not intended to be part of the summary
>
> 8.  Attempts to minimize the number of lines in a configuration, leading
>      to confusing, error prone access lists, OSPF network specifications,
>      etc.
>
> Additional suggestions are welcome, but try to make them general.

9. Ambiguous requirements in the exercise lead to multiple possible correct
solutions, but in reality only one solution will work because that's the way
the exercise writer designed it.

10.  The software is buggy, so you might have a perfectly correct
configuration only to discover that it doesn't work because of CSCpi3.14159.

11.  Shotgunning a problem by adding/deleting configuration commands and
leaving 'artifacts' in the configuration that cause the solution to fail
until a router reload is performed to clear the artifacts.

12.  Adding or changing commands that really only take effect after a reload
is performed.

13.  The interaction between different versions of IOS is unpredictable or,
worse yet, broken.

14.  The lab exercise is just plain wrong, or the solution given is just
plain wrong.