These are sort of basic mistakes that I have made or my students have made
in a lab environment:

No clock rate command on back-to-back serial link.

No frame-relay intf-type dce on back-to-back Frame Relay.

No OSPF neighbor command on back-to-back serial link. (Gurus: check this
one!?)

Assuming Frame Relay Inverse ARP will be on by default, (which it doesn't
seem to be for older IOS versions, such as 11.0)

Using the other side's DLCI instead of your own in the frame-relay map
command.

Using your own IP address instead of the other side's in the frame-relay
map command.

In PPP networks, using the local hostname for the username. Illogical, but
a common mistake.

Assuming copy start run will replace your running config instead of add to
it.

Testing access lists with traffic sourced by the router instead of traffic
forwarded by the router.

There are probably a zillion more, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank
now. Good discussion!

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com