After completing my CCNP and CCDP about a year ago I pretty much
dropped out of the education scene, sold all of my routers, and got busy
with various radio related stuff.

  Last spring I started a wireless ISP with a couple of other guys. We
got it funded about two months ago and I found that I was doing a lot
more with Cisco, at least BGP/OSPF/802.1Q/QoS, and I started looking
over the certs to see if there was one that mostly matched what I am
doing work wise - the CCIP fits me the way the CCIE, with all of its
enterprise stuff, never will.

  I've started slowly rebuilding the lab - a 2621 with voice and ISDN,
my trusty old no serial number CiscoPro 2511 that I couldn't bear to
sell, a Cat 1924 EN, and a 7204 with four sync serial ports dropped into
my lap a couple of weeks ago. I figure I'll be back to 'full strength'
before too long - I'll probably sell the 7204 and get something
smaller/quieter.

  I don't see any "Pass the CCIP" books or any CCIP specific tests on
boson.com so I started digging into the requirements to see if the
CCNP/CCDP stuff might fit. This is what I've found so far:

   Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (exam 640-900) is the larger of
the two core exams and it appears to be very similar to BSCN with much
added from BGP and IS-IS. I'm reading Internet Routing Architectures
again and its a lot more fun this time - I have a dual T1 CEF bundle
from Sprint, another T1 that terminates at a different Sprint router,
and a UUNet T1 that ought to be up in a few weeks - nothing like real
world application to get you to open up the book :-)

   The Multicast + QoS beta exam (exam 641-905) looks like much of the
multicasting information from the BCMSN exam and a lot of QoS stuff that
isn't covered anywhere else. I'm lucky here, too, lots of QoS stuff I
need to do on my growing network. I've had the Cisco Press IOS 12.0
Quality of Service reference book for a while, and I just got Enhanced
IP Services for Cisco Networks and the new IP Quality of Service book as
well. Hopefully reading this stuff will fill in the blanks ...

  I looked at the five possible electives - Cable, Content Networking,
METRO (optical), Security, and MPLS - MPLS is the only one that doesn't
look completely useless for a network of the size I operate. I've been
hoping they'll add a wireless specialization which would be very easy
for me after the last six months, but MPLS looks like a good second
choice - stuff I might be able to use, lab gear is not a fortune, and
there are a couple of books out. I bought MPLS and VPN Architectures
today.

  Has anyone on here completed the CCIP yet? Who is actively working on
it? I'd love to hear from others doing this - drop me a note at
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Neal Rauhauser CCNP, CCDP                       voice: 402-391-3930
http://AmericanRelay.com                        fax  : 402-951-6390