At 06:08 PM 11/17/01 -0500, Andrew Michael wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>   What are some of the reasons why a person would choose a PIX solution
>rather than a good router with the the right IOS for security?

The Pix is a stateful firewall, Cisco routers (as far as I know, typically)
are not.  Generally higher performance, short of using CEF and other
possibly buggy speed optimizations.

>   From what I've read on Cisco's site, there does not seem to be the huge
>gap between using a router as a firewall solution vs. using a PIX, as some
>people make it sound.

Cisco calls is the Adaptive Security Algorithm or something.  Basically, it
has a stateful firewall mechanism.

>   One last thing...for the life of me, I can't find what "PIX" stands for!
>Any help appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

I believe Private Internet Exchange.
-Carroll Kong